Union County College
Under the general direction and oversight of the Library Director, the Assistant Director assists the Director in planning, organizing, coordinating, and directing a balanced program of library services for the students, faculty, and administration of Union County College. Assist the Director of Libraries in maintaining and developing the Libraries as a resource for student success.
Characteristics, Duties, and Responsibilities
• Coordinates hours, staffing and scheduling for all branches
• Supervises Circulation staff; assist Head of Acquisitions and Head of Technical Services and Systems in supervising the Acquisitions and Technical staff and operations
• Develops and oversees circulation policies, procedures and operations
• Develops and updates collection and service policy statements as needed
• Develops and implements library marketing and student engagement efforts
• Consults with Library constituencies to improve Library collections and services
• Develops policies and procedures for automated library information system in coordination with Head of Technical Services and Systems
• Liaises with Public Safety to resolve security incidents and maintain safety of library environment
• Communicates with Facilities regarding maintenance and physical plant issues
• Works with Technical Services and Systems to generate library reports and provide any required system maintenance
• Oversees hiring process for support staff
• Coordinates projects among Librarians
• Participates in Library reference and instruction programs
• Assists in developing Library website, social media presence, and online instructional resource availability within CANVAS or other LMS.
• Acts as liaison to one or more academic divisions
• Recommends materials and online services for purchase and implementation
• Coordinates Library signage, printing and publications
• Process donated materials
• Serves on college committees, attend professional and other meetings as appropriate
• Other duties as assigned by the Director.
• May act on Library Director’s behalf when the Director is not available.
MLS degree from ALA-accredited program required.
Three or more years of professional experience in an academic library (community college preferred).
• Professional experience in library administration, collection development, acquisitions, serials, and circulation/ILL (two or more of the above preferred).
• Experience in library reference and/or instruction.
• Knowledge of and experience with integrated library automation systems.
• Ability to use library technology effectively for public access, library instruction, and technical processing.
• Extensive knowledge of library automated acquisitions systems.
Ability to maintain records and prepare comprehensive reports on library operation, programs offered and other related issues.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Supervisory experience.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Desire to serve the patron base.
• Commitment to affirmative action and to working with a diverse staff and user community.
This position’s duties are normally performed in a typical interior/residence work environment, based on the activity scheduled.
• Some physical effort required; however, the employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• Some travel required
To apply for this job please visit ucc.peopleadmin.com.