Website The Athenaeum of Philadelphia
Assistant Librarian (Part-Time)
The Athenaeum of Philadelphia
The Assistant Librarian is a part-time position that reports to the Librarian. As part of a small but committed staff, the part-time Librarian is responsible for the circulating library during our weekend and evening hours. We are looking for candidates who enjoy working with people and books. This is a wonderful entry-level opportunity for MLS graduates or those at the end of their MLS degree programs. MLS from an ALA accredited program or advanced library students only please.
Responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
· Carry out circulation duties, including accurately checking items in and out, re-shelving, creating patron cards, fulfilling hold requests, and preparing items for pick-up or member mailing in accordance with library policies and procedures.
· Provide patron support, including aid with using library print and digital resources, answering reference questions, finding books, and providing technical support.
· Perform collection and database maintenance tasks including new acquisition processing, deaccessioning, and catalog enhancement.
· Work in collaboration with other Athenaeum staff as needed on events and special projects.
· Assist with collection development of the Athenaeum’s Youth collection.
MLS from an ALA accredited program or advanced library school students. Love of literature, libraries, and people who read books. Excellent verbal and written communication, customer service skills, attention to detail, able to work independently and collaboratively. Proficiency with Google Suite, Microsoft Office. Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds, climb ladders or step stools, lift and carry books, and push or pull full library carts. Experience with Alma, Library of Congress Classification and cataloging desired but not required. Previous library experience a bonus.
About Us: The Athenaeum of Philadelphia is a historic member-supported library on Washington Square with a circulating library specializing in fiction, history, and architecture, as well as a growing young readers library. Our circulating library serves our 1300+ members and provides an ideal study or work space for writers, remote workers, and students. We offer workshops, speaker series, music programs, and other events for members and the public. We also have a research collection.
Pay: Part-Time; 14-18 hours/week. Library hours include Saturdays (10am-3pm) and at least one evening (Mondays midday-7pm) each week. Schedule subject to change. Pay range is $18-$25/hour commensurate with experience. How to Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and references to jobs@PhilaAthenaeum.org. Please put “Assistant Librarian (Part-Time)” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
The Athenaeum of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse pool of candidates.
Chartered in 1814 and located on Washington Square, The Athenaeum of Philadelphia is a member-supported circulating library, research archives, and community forum that “nurtures curiosity in members and neighbors, strengthening community through learning, discourse and meaningful engagement.”
The Athenaeum of Philadelphia
219 South Sixth Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106 www.PhilaAthenaeum.org
To apply for this job email your details to jobs@PhilaAthenaeum.org