Website Bergenfield Public Library
The Bergenfield Public Library seeks a creative and motivated individual for its Youth Services Department. The successful candidate will have excellent customer service skills and knowledge of emerging technologies along with (most importantly) a sense of humor. This individual should be friendly, flexible and, most importantly, love working with young children and their caregivers as well as teens.
The responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assists Department Head in planning and implementing Children’s and Young Adult programs in the library and on school visits
- Provides reference and readers advisory service; answers patrons’ inquiries pertaining to Department programs, schedules or personnel and physical location of library materials, including basic organization systems
- Recommends books, magazines and audio-visual materials for Department collections; updates collection by removing obsolete materials
- Responsible for familiarity with library policies and procedures and their implementation.
- Monitor patron conduct in public areas, including assisting with the supervision of teens during after-school hours.
- Responsible for collection development and weeding in assigned areas.
- Prepare bibliographies, brochures, and other informational aids.
- Attend BCCLS workshops and other continuing education seminars to upgrade skills and knowledge relevant to library services.
- Assist in the maintenance, upgrading and troubleshooting of any problems with library computers and printers.
- Represent the Library at off-site community events
- Participation in the Library’s passport acceptance and notary programs
- Other duties as assigned
- MLS degree from an ALA accredited institution and a New Jersey Professional Librarian Certificate. Candidates who are currently enrolled in an ALA accredited MLIS/MIS program are encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated capacity to deal tactfully and courteously with the public
- Individuals who speak multiple languages are strongly encouraged to apply
- Ability to work independently and manage numerous diverse tasks
- Demonstrated technology skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Passion for and ability to serve people of diverse backgrounds
- Desire to work in a team-centered environment
- Ability to obtain a NJ notary public commission within 6 months of hire
Salary range is $48,000-$53,000 with full benefits and generous paid time off package. This is a union and civil service position. Continuing professional development and educational opportunities provided.
The schedule for this position is 35 hours per week, including a regular evening and weekend coverage on a rotating basis.
If hired, the applicant must be in compliance with the residency requirements of the New Jersey First Act within one year of the date of hire and must participate in the PERS retirement system.
Send a cover letter, resume and three references in .pdf format to Allison Ballo, Director, at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Only candidates of interest will be contacted. No phone calls please.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org