Website Bernardsville Public Library
The Bernardsville Public Library is seeking part-time Readers’ Services Assistants. In addition
to traditional circulation desk duties, Readers’ Services Assistants manage ready reference
questions, provide readers’ advisory, help with merchandising and materials display, support
marketing campaigns, and assist with projects.
We are looking for individuals focused on customer service, with a knowledge of books and a
comfort with technology. Experience with Polaris or Leap highly desirable. Must be physically
capable of kneeling and bending to locate items.
Schedule will include 12-15 hours over three scheduled weekdays and an evening, plus rotating
weekend shifts. All staff members may be asked to fill in as substitutes from time to time.
Starting salary is $15.61/hr, with potential increase after successful completion of training.
Benefits include paid sick and vacation time plus contributions to the State of NJ Defined
Contribution Retirement Program (DCRP).
Submit your resume and letter of interest to Laura Cole firstname.lastname@example.org or
Bernardsville Public Library, 1 Anderson Hill Rd, Bernardsville, NJ 07924. Applicants will be
considered until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Position Description: Readers’ Services Assistant
Responsible for proper functioning of circulation services and designated patron services under
supervision of the Readers’ Services Manager.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Performs circulation desk duties: charge and discharge material, issue library cards, reserve
items, review interlibrary loan requests, respond to patron account questions, record financial
transactions, make change, empty book drop, and shelve books and other materials.
- Assist patrons in finding information and resources.
- Provide readers’ advisory services by developing knowledge of the library’s holdings, and
locating and recommending books for patrons.
- Explain library policy to members of the public and to other libraries as needed.
- Understand how to use the catalog and other online resources. Provide instruction in their use
to patrons, staff and volunteers.
- Assist patrons with printing and computer questions.
- Open and close the library as scheduled.
- Straighten books on shelves and perform general shelf-reading duties as assigned.
- Attend staff meetings and training as required.
- Work on projects as assigned by the Readers’ Services Manager or Director.
- Complete additional assigned responsibilities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the general public and to maintain effective
working relationships with other library staff.
- Knowledge of library and library procedures. Experience with Leap / Polaris highly
- Familiarity and comfort with computers and other electronic devices.
- Ability to maintain established library records and files.
- Knowledge of books — background in literature helpful.
- Strong organizational ability.
- Ability to comprehend, analyze and interpret policies and procedures of the library.
- Proactive customer service orientation.
To apply for this job please visit bernardsvillelibrary.org.