Germantown Friends School
Day Camp Counselor (Early Childhood)
Summertime at GFS invites kids of all ages to explore their gifts, skills, and talents in a safe and fun environment. The Summer Camps team is seeking experienced Camp Counselors to lead groups of 10-12 Rising Preschool – Rising Kindergarten children during GFS’ Explorer Summer Camp.
Counselors are an integral part of the camp experience. They encourage campers to participate, nurture campers self-esteem, give support to campers who might benefit from reminders, and facilitate our theme-based curriculum along with a co-counselor. Counselors for Early Childhood Explorer Camp participate in up to 4 planning meetings with the Day Camp Coordinator and a ½ day counselor orientation leading up to the start of camp. They also help supervise and mentor Jr. counselors who are integral to the success of the camp.
Day Camp Counselors are expected to work 40 hours per week (Monday – Friday), 8:00 – 4:00pm. Counselors must work a minimum of 4 weeks out of the 6 weeks of camp, which runs from June 10-July 19.
REPORTS TO: Day Camp Coordinator
Pre-Summer Planning & Orientation (April – June)
● Participate in up 4 planning meetings with Day Camp Coordinator and Summer Camp Director to provide feedback on the theme-based activities and weekly schedules
● Participate in a ½ day orientation for all Day Camp staff
Summer Program (June 10th – July 19th)
● Facilitate and revise daily, age-appropriate activities
● Lead daily morning meeting and closing / wrap-up activities with campers
● Prepare supplies and classrooms or spaces for daily activities
● Give support to campers who might benefit from reminders & redirection
● Support children in potty-training, changing for water play, etc.
● Provide a safe and engaging environment for campers
● Support the coordination of instructors and partners (such as Soccer Shots)
● Supervise, offer mentorship and constructive feedback to student counselors
● Effectively communicate with other summer camp counselors and staff
● Engage fully in Summertime at GFS, sharing your passion for teaching, learning, and leading
● Must be 18 years or older to apply
● Must have (or be willing to obtain) PA Child Abuse Clearance, FBI Clearance, and PA Criminal Background Check
● Must be CPR/First Aid Certified (or be willing to attend a training)
● 3-5 years experience working with preschool/early childhood students, preferred
● Experience in summer camp or other Out-of-School-Time settings, preferred
● Ability to work with adults and children from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds
● Excellent and timely communication skills
● Excellent interpersonal skills and desire to work in mentorship relationships
● Adept at receiving feedback from peers and supervisors
● Creativity, energy, and ability to exercise agility in educational environments
June 2024 (date TBD)
● ½ day Orientation for Day Camp staff
June 10 – July 19, 2024
● Camp Days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday (8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.)
○ 8:00-9:00 am – prep with team & manage camper arrival
○ 2:45-4:00 – manage camper dismissal, debrief with team, and prep for next day
● OFF HOLIDAYS:
○ Juneteenth – Wednesday, June 19th 2024
○ Independence Day – Thursday, July 4 2024
COMPENSATION: $22 – $23/hr (commensurate with experience)
Deadline to apply – February 5th, 2024 Interested applicants should fill out our online application.
Germantown Friends School is an equal-opportunity employer committed to diversity in its student body, faculty, and staff. The school does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class status. People demonstrating a commitment to diversity and multiculturalism in education are encouraged to apply. For more information about the school, please visit our website at www.germantownfriends.org.
Germantown Friends School is a Quaker, independent, co-educational day school, serving early childhood‐12th grade. Located in northwest Philadelphia, the school is home to a vibrant intellectual community, located in a historic neighborhood, serving a diverse school community, with a robust educational program that is grounded in Quaker principles. For more information about the school, visit www.germantownfriends.org.
To apply for this job please visit forms.monday.com.