State of New Jersey DEPARTMENT OF BANKING AND INSURANCE
State of New Jersey DEPARTMENT OF BANKING AND INSURANCE
NOTICE OF VACANCY
STATE-WIDE – OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
POSTING NO.: BIA-2021-060 POSTING DATE: May 28, 2021
TITLE: Communications Manager CLOSING DATE: July 2, 2021
(Health Insurance Exchange)
UNIT: Office of Public Affairs LOCATION: Trenton, NJ
SALARY: $90,000 – $95,000, based on level of experience
OPEN TO: The public. Open to all candidates who meet the requirements specified below, subject
to current promotional and hiring restrictions.
In June 2019, Governor Phil Murphy signed legislation to establish a state-based health exchange for
New Jersey. This law was enacted with the aim of expanding residents’ access to quality, affordable
health coverage and care.
The Department of Banking & Insurance (DOBI) has implemented the State-Based Health Insurance
Exchange Get Covered New Jersey, including the healthcare exchange technology platform and
consumer assistance center, which launched in November of 2020. A critical function of the state-based
exchange is the promotion of coverage directly to New Jersey residents. The Communications Manager
is at the center of that function and plays a key role in expanding access to coverage throughout the
The Department of Banking and Insurance seeks a qualified candidate to serve as a Communications
Manager in the Office of Public Affairs with a focus on the New Jersey State-Based Health Insurance
Exchange. Reporting to the Department’s Director of Public Affairs, this position is responsible for the
development, implementation, and execution of strategic marketing and communications with a focus
on the State-Based Health Insurance Exchange. The role will also assist with Communications for the
department in general.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Oversee marketing efforts to promote the exchange and availability of coverage through Get Covered
New Jersey. Creatively develop and lead marketing campaigns that engage, educate and motivate.
• Manage marketing and related vendors and the associated contracts.
• Coordinate public affairs activities of the exchange, as well as the department generally as assigned,
including developing communications plans and program reports. Prepare exchange communications
including press releases, press kits, speeches, correspondence, promotional and informational
materials and other communications.
• Produce valuable and engaging content for the exchange website and social platforms that attracts
and converts our target groups; place and distribute content as appropriate.
• Draft and/or oversee creation of marketing material, from website banners to digital and hard copy
• Serve as an official department spokesperson and liaise with members of the media, stakeholders
and the public, as assigned.
• Plan stakeholder meetings and public events.
• Assist with development and presentation of training materials and presentations.
• Assist with the management and preparation of department contracts.
• Manage marketing and creative staff, including contracted staff, as applicable.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree. A degree
in communications/public relations, journalism, marketing or a related field is preferred.
SPECIAL NOTE: Preferred candidates will possess the following qualifications:
• At least 5 years of career experience in communications.
• At least 2 years of experience managing marketing/communications staff or vendors.
• Superb communication skills. This includes memoranda for leadership, strategic engagement of
stakeholders, customer-facing communications, and coordination of different business units.
• Experience as a designated spokesperson for an organization or in government and making high-level
decisions surrounding media procurement and promotion through advertisement.
• Experience managing vendor relationships, enforcing scope and upholding quality standards for the
• Familiarity with the latest trends, technologies, and methodologies in graphic design, web design, and
production (e.g., Adobe Creative Suite, Salesforce Marketing Cloud)
• Fluency in website analytics tools (e.g., Google Analytics, Facebook Insights)
• The capacity to thrive in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
• A passion for health care and public service.
LICENSE: Appointees will be required to possess a driver’s license valid in New Jersey only if the
operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform the essential duties of
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS: In accordance with the New Jersey First Act, N.J.S.A. 52:14-7 (L.
2011, Chapter 70) , effective September 1, 2011, newly hired State government employees must
reside in the State of New Jersey, unless exempted under the law. If you do not reside in New Jersey,
you have one year after you begin employment to relocate your residence to New Jersey. Employees
who fail to meet the residency requirements are subject to removal from employment.
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest and resume. All documents should be
submitted in PDF format by July 2, 2021 to: email@example.com. Please include
Posting No. BIA-2021-060 in the subject line of your email.
NOTE: If you previously applied for posting number BIA-2021-023 for the Communications Manager
(Health Insurance Exchange), which closed on April 16, 2021, your application remains on file with the
Department of Banking and Insurance. Please do not reapply if you previously applied.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org