This 19 hour a week position requires weekends and evenings. Please note, the Lawrence Headquarters Branch is open Sundays throughout the school years, and four of the County-observed holidays and applicants must be available to work on Sundays if necessary, and some of those holidays. The MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA accredited institution and a New Jersey Librarian’s Certification are required.
The successful candidate will be enthusiastic, flexible and forward thinking. Excellent customer service skills and a willingness to be part of the team environment to work with a diverse public to provide outstanding reference and programming for patrons of all ages is a must. If you are patient, respectful, resourceful, a self-starter, technically adept and adaptable, then this position is for you. A second language and teaching experience are a plus.
Typical responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
– Searching the library catalog and locating library materials;
– Accessing databases and other reference materials and showing patrons how to do so;
– Answering reference questions presented in person, electronically, and by telephone;
– Using computer, scanner, copier, projector, and microfilm equipment;
– Providing reference and readers’ advisory services and selecting library materials;
– Assisting patrons in the operation of computers and computer software and providing appropriate instruction when needed;
– Participating in outreach activities, to include in person outreach and contributing blog articles and social media opportunities
– Participating in collection development
– Keen interest in adult programming and the social media presence of the branch
– Knowledge of current library technologies and the ability to use technology, including the library’s automated system, online reference resources, various ebook and audiobook platforms as well as mobile applications, and Microsoft Office programs such as Word and Excel is a must.
This position requires an MLS from an ALA accredited institution, although applications from students enrolled in an MLS program who are at least half-way through the program will also be considered for a library associate title, and are encouraged to apply. A New Jersey Professional Librarian’s Certificate is required for those with an MLS degree.
Full job descriptions can be found on the State of New Jersey Civil Service Commission website. This title is covered under the AFSCME local 3566. The salary range is $23.1590 to $37.4039 per hour. Once certified into a permanent title, part time employees do earn sick and vacation time and are eligible to receive holiday pay.
Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted. The County of Mercer adheres to a very strict residency requirement; Mercer County residency is required. Candidates would be subject to all Civil Service regulations. Send resume and cover letter to:
Ellen Brown, Library Director
Mercer County Library System
Lawrence HQ Branch
2751 Brunswick Pike
Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
fax: (609) 538-1206
To apply for this job please visit librarylinknj.org.