Website Plainsboro Public Library
Plainsboro Public Library seeks an energetic, positive, and self-motivated Youth Services Department Head for a full-time position supervising a dynamic Youth Services Department. The ideal candidate is experienced in managing staff, project oversight, and developing events for the children, teens, and parents of the community in collaboration with library staff. They will provide friendly, high-quality customer service to library patrons and have an in-depth knowledge of children’s and teen literature with the ability to provide high-quality reader advisory. They are a
team player and participate in executing department initiatives and accomplishing department goals in support of the Plainsboro Free Public Library’s Strategic Plan.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
• Provide reference service in person, by telephone, and electronically to the children, tweens, teens, and their caregivers;
• Assist customers in the use of department resources, print and electronic;
• Provides high-quality reader’s advisory to assist customers in selecting materials appropriate for their age group, interest, and reading capabilities;
• Provide information about and registration for department programs;
• Provide customers with assistance at the public computers and equipment in the Science Center including troubleshooting problems;
• Oversee and direct the work of library staff and volunteers;
• Oversee the development and execution of department programs, including traditional programming as well as special events and, summer reading clubs, “maker” and STEAM-based activities that maximize the use of the Science Center in the department;
• Oversees outreach in the school district and township to bring the library out of the building;
• Oversees the weeding and maintenance, and display of all department collections; and
• Oversees the selection of materials for the children’s, tween, and teen collections;
• Responsible for interviewing, hiring, training, supervising, and evaluating Youth Services Staff, which includes librarians, library assistants, and library associates;
• Work with the supervisory team and library strategic planning;
• Lead regular Youth Services meetings;
• Responsible for the monthly, weekly, and daily schedules;
• Perform related tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
A Youth Services Department Head must have some knowledge of:
– the principles, practices, and techniques of modern library operation;
– current trends in the delivery of library services to children, tweens, and teens;
– children’s, tween, and teen literature and resources;
– library software, apps, and common computer software such as MS Office; and
– library research techniques.
A Youth Services Department Head must have the ability to:
– to maintain accurate records and statistics and complete reports;
– plan and execute department-wide children’s programs with the Youth Services staff;
– to exercise initiative and independent judgment;
– to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the library director, library staff, and patrons; and
– to communicate ideas effectively both orally and in writing.
Education and Experience: A Youth Services Librarian must have a master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited library school. Experience working in Youth Services in a public library, as well as supervisory experience, is a must. Demonstrated knowledge of children’s and teen literature is expected. A New Jersey Professional Librarian Certificate must be on file.
Schedule: 35 hours per week; regular Saturdays and evenings.
Salary: $63,213 for MLS Librarian; Generous benefits package.
Application: For consideration, please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “YS full-time Department Head” in the email subject line. Please no phone calls. Only candidates selected for interviews will be notified. Employment offers are conditional upon a successful background and reference check and include a six-month probationary period. Plainsboro Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicant must comply with the “NJ First Act.”
To apply for this job please visit plainsborolibrary.org.