Website Plainsboro Public Library
Plainsboro Public Library seeks an energetic, positive, and self-motivated Youth Services Librarian for a full-time position. The ideal candidate will provide friendly, high-quality customer service to library patrons and has an in-depth knowledge of children’s and teen literature with the ability to provide high-quality readers advisory. They create and execute innovative programs under the direction of the Head of Youth Services. They are a team player and participate in executing department initiatives and accomplishing department goals.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
• Provide reference service in person, by telephone, and electronically to the children, tweens, teens, and their caregivers;
• Assist customers in the use of department resources, print and electronic;
• Provides high-quality reader’s advisory to assist customers in selecting materials appropriate for their age group, interest, and reading capabilities;
• Provide information about and registration for department programs;
• Provide customers with assistance at the public computers and equipment in the Science Center, including troubleshooting problems;
• Oversee and direct the work of library pages and volunteers;
• Develop and execute department programs, including traditional programming as well as special events and, summer reading clubs, “maker” and tech-based activities that maximize the use of the Science Center in the department;
• Participate in outreach in the school district and township to bring the library out of the building;
• Participate in the weeding and maintenance, and display of all department collections; and
• Participate in the selection of materials for the children’s, tween, and teen collections;
• Ability to guide customers out of the building during emergency evacuations; and
• Perform related tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
A Youth Services Librarian must have some knowledge of:
– the principles, practices, and techniques of modern library operation;
– current trends in the delivery of library services to children, tweens, and teens;
– children’s, tween, and teen literature and resources;
– library software, apps, and common computer software such as MS Office; and
– library research techniques.
A Youth Services Librarian must have the ability to:
– to maintain accurate records and statistics and complete reports;
– plan and execute children’s programs;
– to exercise initiative and independent judgment;
– to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the department supervisor, library staff, and patrons; and
– to communicate ideas effectively both orally and in writing.
Education and Experience: A Youth Services Librarian must have a master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited library school. Experience working in Youth Services in a public library is a must. Demonstrated knowledge of children’s and teen literature is expected. A New Jersey Professional Librarian Certificate must be on file.
Schedule: 35 hours per week; Sundays and evenings.
Salary: $54,953 for MLS Librarian; Generous benefits package.
Application: For consideration, please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Include “YS full-time position” in the email subject line. Please no phone calls. Only candidates selected for interviews will be notified. Employment offers are conditional upon a successful background and reference check and include a six-month probationary period. Plainsboro Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicant must comply with the “NJ First Act.”
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org