The Center for Women’s Global Leadership
Program Intern (Summer) – Global 16 Days Campaign
Hourly rate – $15
Hours – 20 per week
Dates – June -August
The Center for Women’s Global Leadership (CWGL) welcomes applications from highly motivated
individuals interested in a world where human rights for all are respected and enjoyed. The Program
Intern will assist in CWGL’s efforts to operationalize the Global 16 Days Campaign’s program and
About the Global 16 Days Campaign:
The Global 16 Days Campaign (Global Campaign) launched in collaboration with global feminists by
the Center for Women’s Global Leadership (CWGL) at its first Women’s Global Leadership Institute in
1991, has been used worldwide to call for the elimination of gender-based violence (GBV). The Global
Campaign is coordinated by CWGL and it is run annually from November 25 (International Day Against
Violence Against Women) to December 10 (International Human Rights Day). Over 6000+
organizations in more than 185 countries have participated in the Global Campaign since 1991, with
over a reach of 300 million. It has been used effectively by a variety of actors working to advance
women’s human rights and social justice including, grassroots women’s organizations, nongovernmental organizations (national, regional and international), UN agencies and governments, to
raise awareness, mobilize constituents, demand accountability and showcase progress on eliminating
GBV. Since its inception, the Global Campaign has been extended to demand accountability for GBV
all year round through 365 days of activism which is marked by activities and partnerships which are
organically linked to the annual campaign theme and priorities.
The Program Intern will join a team of staff and consultants in the summer of 2021 to further CWGL’s
work towards the elimination of GBV on a global scale. Graduate students and well-qualified Junior and
Senior Year undergraduates are strongly encouraged to apply. This internship will provide an
opportunity for a student to undertake assignments which may include one or more of the following
• Providing program support related to the Global Campaign:
o Research and writing on topics including femicide, GBV in the world of work and UN
Human Rights mechanisms.
o Maintaining digital databases with information on partners and allies.
• Providing communications support to Global 16 Days Campaign:
o Developing written and visual materials (eg., infographics) to complement the Global
Campaign’s program initiatives, including for social media.
o Assisting with the maintenance of the Global Campaign’s website, including updating
content on the platform.
o Drafting social media messages for Twitter and Facebook.
• Providing administrative and logistical support to program initiatives including webinars and online
consultations and meetings.
• Demonstrated interest (academic, extracurricular, previous jobs) in feminist advocacy, social
justice, human rights, gender equality, economic and social issues.
• Highly organized with the ability to prioritize and assume responsibility for multiple projects.
• Able to engage in independent learning, growth, and exploration of new topics, to take initiative
and quickly understand complex issues.
• Proficiency in using social media platforms (Facebook and Twitter).
• Familiarity with web content development and management, specifically WordPress.
• Familiarity with graphic design using Canva or Adobe Illustrator.
• Excellent research, writing and analytical skills.
• Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite and Google Docs.
• Experience and/or understanding of human rights research and advocacy with a gender lens.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
• Academic background in political science, journalism, sociology, international relations,
gender studies, or related field.
• Some global experience.
• Proficiency in a second language is an asset.
Interns should be able to spend a minimum of 20 hours a week remotely. This is a paid internship.
How to Apply: Apply via Handshake at https://app.joinhandshake.com/jobs/4835873. Be sure to upload the
following materials in PDF format: a resume, cover letter, writing sample, and 2 references (name and
email contact), along with details about your availability (start/end dates and total days/week).
Deadline for applications: June 4, 2021
To apply for this job please visit app.joinhandshake.com.