The Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL) Library and Archives seeks
The Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL) Library and Archives seeks a highly motivated, collaborative, and enthusiastic Research Informationist in Life Science & Science Data to join an established team of information professionals that serves the research community of CSHL. This is an opportunity to work with prominent scientists, postdocs, and grad students at the forefront of research in cancer, neuroscience, genomics, quantitative biology, and plant biology at our world-renowned biomedical research institution.
The candidate will work with CSHL researchers to provide expert guidance on research data services and instructions including implementing a research data management plan, consultation on data management plans in grant applications, the creation and application of metadata standards, data analysis and data visualization.
The ideal applicant will become an effective asset to our research teams and improve research output within the CSHL Community. The Research Informationist in Life Science & Science Data reports to the Executive Director of the Library and Archives.
Duties and responsibilities:
· Lead the Laboratory’s Open Science initiatives
· Create and support the campus infrastructure for findability, accessibility, interoperability, and reusability (FAIR) for scientific data management and stewardship
· Support rigor, reproducibility and integrity efforts throughout CSHL
· Train and consult with researchers on research data management plans (RDMP)
· Provide metrics on scholarly research
· Investigate research practices and remain current with information resources related to data planning, use, organization, management, storage, and curation
· Participate in efforts to measure the impact of CSHL research by utilizing web-based analytic services such as Altmetrics
· Serve as liaison to our research laboratories by forging relationships with faculty and researchers
· Create innovative information resource tools that respond to trends in scientific research
· Provide services to researchers throughout the research life cycle in all 5 of CSHL’s key subject areas
· Provide support to our research administrators in maintaining public profile systems (Google Scholar, ORCID, Elements, etc.)
· Provide expertise in utilizing databases such as PubMed, Scopus, and Web of Science
· Provide expertise in domain specific NCBI databases
· Participate in a new project incorporation of artificial intelligence in our library
· Participate in Science Journal Club program for high school students
Advanced or master’s degree in Life Science, Data Science, Computer Science or Information and Library Science
Experience: 1-3 years’ experience working in an academic environment. A passionate interest in current Life Sciences research and experience in science communication.
Skills: Familiarity with research and teaching information needs in the life sciences. Must be strongly computer literate. Knowledge of the publication process in the sciences. Familiarity and skill with, and the ability to train others on, the various platforms provided by the Library, including research information management systems, databases (PubMed, Scopus, etc.), etc. Ability to work with people from diverse cultural backgrounds. Excellent interpersonal, multitasking, verbal, and written communication skills. Demonstrated strength in statistical analysis and methods. Strong passion for research reproducibility and integrity as demonstrated by contributions of data-sets, metadata, papers and code to open access repositories.
Data visualization skills. Knowledge of software such as R, SSRS, Python, Jupyter. Knowledge of biological and allied subjects, experience in machine learning.
Interested candidates should apply via the CSHL Careers website at: https://cshl.peopleadmin.com/postings/17929
Position Number: 00534-E
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is a world-renowned research and educational institution with programs in cancer, neuroscience, plant biology, genomics and bioinformatics. The Laboratory is recognized internationally for its excellence in research and educational activities. For more information about CSHL, please visit https://www.cshl.edu.
CSHL is an EO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
To apply for this job please visit cshl.peopleadmin.com.