Website Rutgers University Libraries - Special Collections and University Archives
Performs conservation care and treatments on materials held in the library’s special collections.
• Perform detailed conservation treatments on a variety of materials from various special collections within the library, including evaluating and recommending treatment for mold and mildew; humidifying paper and parchment, deacidifying paper, and encapsulating brittle or fragile items
• Meets as needed with curators and other responsible parties to discuss treatment options and conservation needs.
• Adheres to best practices by maintaining a clean workspace; understanding and observing building and chemical safety protocols; and maintaining the security for valuable library materials.
• Photographs or scans fragile and oversized material, using appropriate equipment
• Maintains accurate statistics on daily activities and reports this information monthly. All work assignments and tasks are to be completed in an accurate and timely manner.
• Monitors environment of onsite collection and work spaces
• At least 2 years of related conservation experience
• Demonstrated understanding of conservation principles
• Proficient in conservation treatments including mold remediation
• Superior hand skills and attention to detail in order to perform precise and detailed repairs and operations according to specialized instructions
• Willingness to work with solvents and other potentially hazardous materials that require the use of a respirator
• Ability to push/pull loaded book trucks; ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds
• Written and oral communication skills commensurate with job requirements
• Ability to work independently and in a group environment team
• Understands and values diversity and the importance of inclusion
• Demonstrated technology skills, including proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications
• Experience working with and handling rare books or artifacts
• Coursework in conservation, preservation, bookbinding, or museum studies or bookbinding experience
• Experience photographing and scanning fragile and oversized material
• Experience using overhead cameras such as Phase One
• Ability to identify opportunities to improve procedures and practices
To apply for this job please visit jobs.rutgers.edu.