Associate Manager, Advertising and Promotions
The Associate Manager, Advertising and Promotions is responsible for developing and implementing cross-channel, customer-focused, and data-informed advertising and marketing strategies for all MIT Press books, journals, platforms, and other products in collaboration with the Director of Marketing and Communications for the MIT Press. These strategies will encompass comprehensive global digital and place advertising campaigns; robust analysis of customer data and web traffic to optimize discovery and identify new opportunities; a creative, growth-oriented email marketing program; and the production of effective promotions materials and marketing collateral.
This job opportunity is available for remote work or hybrid scheduling.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions**):
- Collaborate with Director of Marketing and Communications to develop and execute a comprehensive advertising and promotions strategy in support of all MIT Press products (trade books, academic books, textbooks, journals, and MIT Press Direct);
- Collaborate with Director of Marketing and Communications to establish the strategy and implementation of a global advertising plan, print and digital, for all books, journals, and other products each season. This includes placing digital and print space ads in magazines and journals; scheduling paid search engine and keyword advertising; placing digital advertising across social media; and writing and guiding design of ads.
- Develop seasonal ad plans and execute across digital platforms, including Facebook Ads, Amazon Ads, Google Ads, Twitter Ads, and LinkedIn Ads.
- Regularly analyze campaign metrics to create more refined, targeted digital marketing strategies.
- Perform seasonal analysis to track ROI on paid and organic marketing initiatives across departments, and use data to inform future marketing initiatives and product lines;
Email Marketing (25%)
- Plan, schedule, and implement all external books email and other digital campaigns to our newsletter subscribers (via Hubspot), in coordination with the Head of Web Editorial and Content Strategy; develop a relationship with our subscribers, develop custom email lists for all disciplines and groups, and create goals to grow the email subscriber list including regular ROI (return on investment) tracking by campaign.
- Collaborate with Director of Marketing and Communications to implement growth strategies to expand the MIT Press email newsletter subscriber base.
- Maintain marketing contacts in a customer relationship database, connecting campaigns and interactions in order to better refine MIT Press marketing communications.
Website Marketing (10%)
- Analyze user and audience data to advise on SEO and keywords for website and advertising;
- Update website based on user experience, new book announcements, and seasonal changes.
Administrative Duties (15%)
- Disseminate knowledge and research about advertising and promotions best practices across the marketing department.
- Train the digital marketing and analytics team, as well as other departments, on relevant tools and strategies for successful campaign execution.
- Provide individual guidance on digital marketing strategy for authors and journal editors when needed, developing standard guides for widespread distribution.
- Other duties as needed or required.
Reports to Director of Marketing & Communications.
This position manages a small team, including the Digital Marketing Associate and a Marketing Assistant, as well as shared management of a seasonal intern.
Coordinates these efforts closely with: Senior Marketing Manager, Social Media Manager, and wider marketing team; Director of Trade Publishing and Sales, Head of Web Editorial and Content Strategy.
EDUCATION: Bachelors degree in a related field required.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum 3 years of communications and marketing experience required.
- Excellent writing, editing, organizational, and verbal and written communication skills.
- Creative, strategic, and analytic thinking skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to manage an annual budget.
- Deep knowledge of the media and marketplace.
- Demonstrated proficiency with current and emerging social media and digital platforms.
- Experience analyzing digital metrics (experience with Google Analytics would be a plus).
- Experience using Mailchimp, Hubspot or other similar Marketing Automation Tools.
- Experience using Content Management Systems such as Drupal.
- Familiarity with social advertising platforms and owned social management tools such as Hootsuite.
- Basic knowledge of HTML and CSS, and familiarity with Drupal and Medium.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft applications, Photoshop.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience creating marketing content across all media, including web, social media, email, and print, preferably at a trade publisher or university press.
- A demonstrated creative and innovative approach to work preferred, as is experience contributing to the creation of digital and print graphic content, overseeing the production of graphic materials contributing to the overall website strategy.
- Experience managing a team of two or more.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org