Springfield-Greene County Library
POSITION: Youth Services Librarian
LOCATION: The Library Center – 4653 S Campbell Avenue – Springfield, MO
DUTIES: See attached job description for essential duties and qualifications
SALARY: $37,440.00 annually
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until Filled
This is a full-time position, approximately 40 hours per week. Candidates must be available to work any hours the library branch is open. Beginning July 18th, The Library Center will be open Monday through Thursday 8:30am to 9:00pm, Friday from 8:30am to 8:00pm, Saturday from 8:30 to 7:00pm and Sunday from 10:00am to 6:00pm. Some evening and weekend shifts will be scheduled. As a condition of employment, work schedules may change as necessary to best provide user services and to meet the Library’s responsibility to the citizens of Greene County.
This position requires an MLS or MLIS from an ALA accredited institution. To be considered for this position TRANSCRIPTS MUST ACCOMPANY YOUR APPLICATION. All candidates for employment must be at least 16 years old.
Proof of United States Citizenship/Authorization to Work in the United States as established by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986 is a condition of employment
Applications may be found online at http://thelibrary.org/libjob/libjobs.cfm then follow the link provided for this Job Posting
Complete application and submit transcript (download under the RESUME tab) through our online application process. Direct questions through e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 417-616-0589 Monday – Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm.
Individuals with disabilities should request reasonable accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act prior to testing or appointment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Current library employees desiring consideration must:
· have received a satisfactory performance rating on their last performance evaluation
· currently be performing their duties at a satisfactory level
· Log in to Genesis – Select Our Company > Search for Jobs > select position, view details of position, then APPLY FOR THIS JOB , a text box opens allowing you to compose a cover letter or add comments, click APPLY FOR THIS JOB again
· Use the pop up box labeled “COMMENTS ENTERED BY APPLICANT” to post a letter of interest
· If a transcript is required, please make certain these are on file.
Position: Youth Services Librarian
Classification: Library Professional
Salary: $37,440.00 annually
FLSA Status: Exempt
· Develops and implements developmentally appropriate youth and family programs and activities, such as story times for babies, toddlers and preschoolers, programs for school age youth, family events and tours
· Ability to relate to youth from birth to age 18 and their families and work with the general public
· Develops Library programs and services based on sound models of youth participation, allowing for social interaction, growth and learning
· Evaluates and documents programs and services to contribute to institutional and professional memory and adapts and improves future programs and services
· Assists patrons with reader’s advisory, information, and location of library materials
· Assists and instructs patrons in the use of Library technology and reference materials
· Performs computer data and internet searches
· Provides regular reference services to the general public
· Assists Youth Services Manager with the promotion of youth services to local schools and community organizations through outreach, including periodic public speaking
· Develops statistical methods and interprets department statistics to help guide programming, collection merchandising, and other services
· Develops and conducts special projects and trainings under the direction of the Youth Services Manager
· May assist with material selection and collection development
· Participates as a member of the Youth Services Committee and other system wide committees and work groups as assigned
· Keeps department sanitary
· Interprets and implements the Library’s General Conduct Policy.
· Timeliness: The employee must be punctual and timely in arriving to work and completing tasks. The employee must also be capable of working all of the hours in their assigned shift.
· Ability to work with others and the general public: It is essential that individual who works in this position have the ability to work and interact in a cooperative, pleasant, and constructive manner with others.
· This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; employee may be required to perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the Library.
· Must exhibit flexibility, initiative, creativity, energy, patience and tact
· Ability to perform essential job functions during times of high public usage
· Excellent communications skills, oral and written
· Ability to effectively listen to and respond appropriately to patron inquiries
· Working knowledge of developmental stages of youths birth through 18 years of age and the implications for Library programs, services and collections
· Working knowledge of reference resources
· Working knowledge of youth development and the implications for library services and programs
· Working knowledge and appreciation of youth literature, issues, and interests
· Proficient in use of computer systems and associated software, integrated library systems, and the internet
· Current knowledge of developments and trends in library services and technology
· Awareness of current events
· MLS or MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution
· One year public service experience required
· Public library experience and experience working with youth and families preferred
· Regular, daily public contact
· Works closely with other department personnel
· Routine telephone and email contact with other departments and branches
· Supervised by the Youth Services Department Manager
· Performs bending, squatting, kneeling and reaching from floor level to 6 feet in height
· Displays good coordination and mobility
· Routine lifting of library materials weighing up to 20 lbs.
· May have some exposure to bodily fluids
· Primarily indoors with heating and cooling regulated in a general library environment
· Must pass a security background check
The vision for the Springfield-Greene County Library is to be a thriving Library that is an integral part of the lives of the community. Library employees will be expected to embrace the following values:
Synergy – To produce a combined effect greater than what we can do individually
Empowerment – To give someone the means or ability to do something
Respect – To treat all people with dignity
Inclusion – To invite and welcome
Innovation – To start or provide something new
Confidence – To be certain of trustworthiness
Excellence – To be the best in everything we do
To apply for this job please visit thelibrary.org.