Mega Career Fair Tips
Going to a career fair can be nerve-wracking
for both the company representatives and for students/alumni.
The company representatives can be faced with 6,000 students in 2 days.
How can you stand out in their minds?
Be sure you are prepared.
Here are a few critical tips:
- Do an Advanced Search on CareerKnight of the companies by Day 1 and Day 2.
- Research what positions they are offering and IF this is a company you are interested in.
- Make a list. Limit the companies you will talk to a handful (5).
- Be there early, try to be the first student they talk to.
- Prepare an answer to the question – “Why do you want to work for us?”
- Prepare 2 minutes of talk about yourself – major, minor, passions/interests, experience, leadership activities, student organization memberships
- Many companies will not want your paper resume, be prepared to go back home and apply online.
- Ask for a business card or write down the name so you can thank the representative for their information and connect on LinkedIn after the Fair.
Remember you are at the Fair to form relationships.
You cannot get a job or internship by walking around and dropping off your resume.
You must market yourself through face-to-face interaction.
Know the companies you are going to talk to and have something to say.
Do not wander aimlessly around a Mega Career Fair, it can be very exhausting and is not the best investment of your time.
Spend time doing research on potential employers instead and reach out to them on their websites.